Lead Linux Systems administrator seeking a career in a dynamic, FOSS oriented environment which makes best use of my current skills and help me to develop my technical skills more.
- Date of birth: June 9th, 1980.
- Nationality: Egyptian.
- Marital Status: Married.
Alexandria University 1997 - 2001
Bachelor's degree in Electrical Engineering, Communications and Electronics Section.
- Highly motivated.
- Analytical problem solving skills.
- Excellent self-development.
- High leadership skills.
- Fast learner.
- Excellent team player.
- High ownership.
- Good communication skills.
- Can adopt to rapidly changing work environment.
Spirula Systems: Founder & CTO Mar 2010 - present
Founder and Chief Technical Officer, providing support to the internal team and the clients. The company works in system administration, system engineering, designing companies IT infrastructure, scaling web applications, security, defending servers under attack (especially DDoS), and consultancy.
eSpace Technologies: SysAdmins Team Leader Dec 2006 - Mar 2010
Created, led, and managed team of system administrators to manage the internal infrastructure, the staging servers, and the production servers for the applications developed by eSpace. This included deploying, maintaining, securing, and migrating the production servers. Notable successes made by this team:
- Deploying the largest arabic forum (alsaha.com) on a multi-server architecture (8 VPS's + 2 dedicated servers). And defending it against massive DDoS attack waves that lasted for more than 9 months.
- Transform a web application (voicecloud.com) from a single server application to scalable and high availability structure, though this application was not developed by eSpace.
- Provided infrastructure needed to crowl a database or thousands of arab scientists from hundreds of sites to create “Arab Expatriate Scientists Forum (aes-forum.com.qa).
Egyptian Group: Medical Service Engineer Jun 2002 - Nov 2006
Service Engineer for hospitals in 3 governances for FRESENIUSTM Hemodialysis Machines,
models A2008C, 2008A, 4008B, 4008S, & 4008H.
- Installing / maintaining web application environments: PHP, Java (tomcat & jboss), and ruby on rails (mongrels, thins, and passenger/modrails).
- HTTP caching, load balancing, proxying , web server advanced configurations: nginx, apache2, squid, and varnish.
- Designing multi-server architecture for web applications.
- Cloud computing: Using amazon's AWS (EC2, S3, EBS, ... etc).
- Databases: Mysql & postgres: installation, configuration, and replication.
- Virtualization: using Xen (including complex xen networking issues).
- Monitoring: Server monitoring (xymon/hobbit) and process monitoring (monit).
- Network backup: Using bacula.
- Installing / configuring / maintaining network services (e.g openLDAP, DNS, DHCP, DDNS, Samba).
- Creating / maintaining Version Control Systems: SVN, GIT.
- Server security auditing: using nessus / openVAS.
- Defending against DDoS attacks.
- Secure tunneling: VPN(openVPN and poptop/PPTP), SSH tunnels.
- Advanced firewalling and routing: Using iptables, shorewall, iproute.
- Solid background of networking and TCP/IP.
- Python Scripting.
- Bash scripting.
- Basic C programming.
- Basic knowledge of Linux System Programming.
- Gnu/Linux server administration for major distributions (Debian, Ubuntu, RHEL).
FOSS Volunteer Work:
- Admin of EGLUG (Egypt Gnu/Linux Users Group).
- Participated in Arab Techies code sprint 2009.
- Organizer of EGLUG's Alexandria Installfest 2009.
- Attended the Arab Techies Gathering 2008.
- Started Free Software Initiative in Alexandria, Egypt.
- Volunteer in Wikimania2008 in Alexandria, Egypt.
- Volunteer in EGLUG's Installfests 2004, 2005 and 2007.
- Tester in the Egyptian Gnu/Linux distribution 'Phaeronix' (discontinued).
Presentation and Conferences:
- Speaker in “Free and Open Source Software in Sudan” conference 2009.
- Presenter in FOSS Introductory lectures series in Bibliothica Alexandrina 2009.
- Presenter in EGLUG's System Administration Course in the iTi Alexandria (Information Technology Institute) 2009.
- Presenter in Arab Techies Gathering 2008.
- Key note speaker in the FOSS awareness week in Alexandria University 2009.
- Presenter in Alexandria's Software Freedom Day 2009.
- Presenter in EGLUG's Alexandria first Gnu/Linux Course 2005.
Interests and Hobbies:
- Contributing in FOSS activities.
- Charity work.
- Available upon request.